Thursday, August 13, 2015

12 Steps to Nowhere

Years ago, I suffered a loss so incomprehensible that I could not take the pain. I medicated myself with alcohol and tried to numb out the pain as much as possible.  For years, my drinking was never 'out of control', just a daily evening dose of medicine to numb the pain.  I started to feel this 'medicine''s effect on my mind and body and realized I had to do something or I would continue to numb myself into a slow death.  In looking for 'help', I chose to try one of the only methods I knew of, Alcoholic's Anonymous.  Although, my story was not the story of many 'in the program', I learned to do what people told me to do and 'look for similarities instead of differences' and slowly began to be slightly brainwashed by something that never quite 'fit' for me.

With lack of any other available options, I chose to go to a place where I was told this was the 'only solution' to my addiction. Before this, I wallowed around scared and alone, not knowing where to turn.  I entered AA, vulnerable and sad.  I did not know or understand that perhaps if I focused on my underlying grief and trauma issues, I could live a fuller life.  Instead, I went in to something where alcohol and the 'ism' attached to it, became part of my 'character' in this insidious way.  I struggled through in these rooms with concepts that never quite made sense to me.

I stayed because I love connecting with people; because I was lonely.  I stayed because a gentle man worked through the steps with me in an openhearted way, patient and nonjudgmental about my questions.  I started to heal a little, with time and with my own work, from the grief and pain that brought me here.  I watched some 'get it' and take on this program with the fervor of a Southern preacher.  And sadly, I watched some come in and out sad and vulnerable, thinking that no matter how much work they did, they just couldn't quite get it. Seeing these people who worked hard, but could not stay sober,  broke my heart. It made me wonder if there was another way for some and that instead of saying 'it works if you work it', maybe the saying should be 'if it doesn't work try something else because your life depends on it'. I started to question, more and more. I started to question many of the steps as they did not fit with much that made sense to me on a deep level.

I went in with help for my addiction and was told I had a 'special type of personality', that my make up was vastly different from the 'normies', as they were called.  This puzzled me as my experience showed me that anyone can become an addict and that many of these 'special' traits that were talked about were also experienced by people who were not addicts.  My pain and grief had led me to numb out with an intoxicating substance. This did not make me unique or different from people who numb out in other socially acceptable ways like TV or video games. My trauma, my grief, my resentments were things that were universally felt by addicts and non addicts alike.

When I struggled with depression and anxiety, it filled me with deep discomfort to hear others in the 'rooms' say that AA was the only way and to scoff at therapy and psychiatry.  These people were not the majority, but their attitude towards outside help could make a deeply vulnerable person ashamed that they could not deal with everything with AA and the 12 steps.  They implied that someone who needed outside help was just not working the steps hard enough.  I firmly believe that this is one of the most destructive aspects of AA and other offshoot 12 step programs.  It could be literally killing people who need more help than the 'program' can offer them.

I now know, from my 4 years in and out of the program, that I saw the great value that came from connecting with others with similar problems. For some, the connection to faith and spirituality was life transforming.  For others, it was a baffling puzzle that never made sense. I saw lives transformed in the 'program' and I saw others that floundered. Central to this floundering, at times, was this inability to 'get' the deeply patriarchal religious underpinnings of this program.  For some of us, those ideas and concepts just do not work and trying to shame us into believing that they should is just wrong.

I knew what brought me here was deep pain; pain born of many traumas, many losses, much grief. This deep pain was often brushed over and disregarded as self pity, or 'terminal uniqueness'. I knew that these rooms were not addressing a lot of these deep pains or traumas.  This questioning led me to being in these rooms feeling like my head was going to explode, but feeling I must because I was told I had to. I was told I had a 'progressive disease'. Some took this idea so far that they believe their diseased character will just get progressively worse even when clean from the substance. I was told that if I stopped coming, I was bound to 'relapse'. Furthermore, that it is a given with this disease, if I relapse I will start using the substance worse than I used to and probably end up dead, in prison or in an institution. I was not told that a great majority of people who have problems with alcohol somehow 'mature' out of it and either move on eventually to moderate drinking or abstinence with no AA or specialized alcohol treatment.

Being clean of this substance did not protect me from horrible pain. Being in these rooms did not take away mind numbing debilitating pain and depression. Seeing others, who had many years of 'sobriety' be just as unhealthy, sometimes more so, than the newcomer, spurred me towards more reflection on what this all meant to me, to others. Things become clear.  A weight lifted, and I realized that I did have a choice.  I could change my relationship with alcohol just as I had changed my relationship with food many years earlier.  The 'rooms' were not what I needed, and I was now more aware of myself and knew that if I was drawn to self medication and numbing, that I might need something else, not some archaic program that made no sense to me. Not a higher power. But, my self will, harnessed and aligned and learning to fight for my own survival.  My self will was not the enemy I heard it was. It was something that could actually save me; because without this 'self will', I would not be here today. Nor would I have survived all the traumas that led me here.

In this country, our treatment of addiction and mental health issues is woefully inadequate.  For years, we have looked in the wrong direction with both, believing that 12 step models worked well(when the evidence clearly proved otherwise) for addiction and that pharmaceuticals were the answer for mental health issues.  For both, it is my firm belief, that the key to both, in many cases, is unresolved trauma, loss, and grief.  Further research has proven that it is also social connection and support networks that make the difference in both.(which, to me, shows why 12 step programs work for a lot of people) Years ago, I would talk to a friend about things I found on the Internet that were anti AA. Her question was why rail against AA? Why not just do your own thing and quit being so negative? For me, the answer is this: if there is just one person out there in the 'program' that hears what I say and feels less alone, then, I will have done what I set out to do.  If there is anyone out there 'in the room's feeling like their head is going to explode, that they just can't 'get it', my message is clear: find other things that work. Therapy. Exercise. Positive social connections. Fight for your life. Find treatment for trauma. Find treatment for grief.  You do not have to stay with something that doesn't feel right to you. There are other options. We,as a country, need to quit being so backward and recognize that addiction is a multi faceted experience with many answers.  If we continue down the path we are going without looking deeper at many options, we will continue to see tragic deaths of people that truly believed they 'failed' at the one answer they had and that there were no other answers.  Do we really want these deaths on our hands?



33 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more...good job my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to add some of the other options out there for people who are searching. Lifering, Smart Recovery, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, Moderation Management, and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you staying sober? Thanks for sharing. A lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cliff, I prefer not to answer that as my life does not revolve around 'sobriety'. It revolves around being healthy and true to myself. It involves being aware of when I have an unhealthy relationship with something be it a substance or activity. And then taking action if I feel like I am getting into unhealthy waters. As I talked about in the blog post, that action could involve many things to take care of myself and stay healthy.The word 'sobriety' means little to me. Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cliff, somehow your comment showed up three times(the same comment). So, I deleted 2 of them in case you were wondering! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went in and out of the 'rooms' for three years and I too thought the program was not for me. I suffered greatly during those three years. I have been sober for over two years now, with the help of AA. And when I finally gave up and stopped trying to figure everything out and finding the reasons why AA did not work, it all fell into place. My dad died a year ago and I too suffer with greif and loss, he was my biggest supporter. I love him dearly. I wish you well and I hope you have safe travels. I don't do everything that is suggested in AA and I know I will stay sober when I let my God take the wheel. Acceptance truly is my answer and I now know that I'm an alcoholic of the hopeless variety, if I slip back to my old ways. The difference today, is that I'm looking at myself honestly and I realize that nothing is perfect in this world and it never will be. I get up and take life as it comes, I'm there for my friends and family. I say sorry and I don't expect someone else to say sorry when they hurt me. I have a lot of hope and I hope you find peace in this cruel world as I did, I believe you can change your world with honesty. Your friend :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cliff!! I am so glad you have found your way out of addiction. I am a true proponent of doing whatever works. If AA works for you, that is great! I think the people that truly stay sober, honest and healthy in AA are those who have truly made the program work for them as a person! Some just can't do that and there needs to be more out there to help those that can't 'get' AA. So glad you have found peace and find more of it on your journey!! Thanks for your comments. I was nervous about posting this and potential comments I might get and so far, I find that I guess I was nervous for no reason!! :)

      Delete
    3. I agree that there are many ways for people to stay sober; I have friends that do not attend AA and are living sober happy lives. People are aware of these other options as well, so I'm quite sure where your negative energy towards AA is coming from. So why criticize AA when it helps millions of people, its common knowledge that that there are other options? Seem like energy not spent well in my opinion. I believe people are responsible for their actions, so that is why I politely disagree with a lot that is said in your blog. Alcohol and drug problems are life and death situations. That's why my life revolves around sobriety. Again, I hope you find peace. And I appreciate your bravery with posting such a hot button topic.

      Delete
    4. You have my answer in the blog post. As I said, I do believe that AA transforms some people's lives. For other's it just doesn't work. Expressing my experience about it is meant to help others who might be feeling the same way. It is not saying that others don't have positive experiences with it. As always, with my other blog posts also, I am trying to share my experience, strength and hope to help others through what I write. I am glad you have found your solution, as I said before. :)

      Delete
    5. I just missed the part where you offered solutions in you blog. You said therapy, exercise and to search. Seems like a very small portion of your blog is solution oriented. And very little thought was put into solutions in general. And I firmly disagree with your statements at the end blaming society for people dying and that one option is provided. Who is providing the options anyway? If you want to change you will seek more than one option. I say accountability and action. Take care :)

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    7. Cliff, I am sorry you missed the overriding message from start to finish in my blog about the fact that addiction is often related to underlying trauma and grief issues. I weave that through the entire blog. So, logically, one could come to the conclusion that getting treatment for those things would help addiction. I am sorry you missed those points that are pointedly in almost every paragraph. Interesting. I think you misunderstand my last sentence. It is about people who are in AA and it doesn't work for them and they kill themselves because they don't know other options??(honestly, it is not easy to find face to face support group options in most places that aren't AA-that is what I was referring to, the fact that there are often no other face to face group options.. and the fact that many assume AA is the only answer) I am so you misunderstood so much. It's obvious you have thought about my post a lot though today and I appreciate that.

      Delete
    8. You get help with those underlying issues in AA for free, so I'm not following your message. If you can't find a sponsor you are comfortable with, or agree with, find another one. Most people that are struggling, do not have the money required to get the help you are suggesting. If you are thinking of starting a new group to help others, its bad for business to attack your biggest competitor that has the best track record so far to date. And not everyone goes about sobriety in AA the same, its not a one size fits all program that you are suggesting. I still haven't found anyone doing the perfect program to date and if you find them let me know. I don't agree with AA some of the time and I'm still a proud member. I agree that we need more options, spending time creating alternatives for us that are struggling, is a better option than complaining about what is available, in my opinion. I hope this message finds you well and 12 steps to no where has not been my experience. It is what you make it, see the light my friend.

      Delete
    9. This is my last comment as you have missed the whole point of my post. I talk about my experiences with AA so that others can feel like they are not alone. I have already received private feedback saying how much they appreciate what I have shared because of experiences they have had. By sharing my experience, I hope to help others feel less alone and also to realize that they do not have to feel hopeless if AA does not work for them. I want them to know that there are plenty of other options and that looking at trauma and grief with a therapist is a very viable and important thing to look at. Thanks for your comments on my post. It is obvious that it really kind of stuck with you as you have now posted several comments. I am done commenting. My blog post speaks for itself and if you don't 'get' it, that is fine. Like I have said many times now, I am happy you have found something that works for you. You can stop feeling defensive about my path and know that you are secure in knowing what works for you. Attraction rather than promotion.

      Delete
    10. Cliff, your comments appear to start out interested and thoughtful, but become increasingly dense and holier-than-thou. This, in itself, tells me that AA and other 12-Step programs are not going to work for everyone. Some of us are turned off immediately by any program that smacks of evangelism.

      Delete
    11. I'm not trying to promote AA, I'm just defending what saved my life and millions of others lives as well. I'm not any better or worse than anyone else, I love you both and I hope peace is found in your lives. Maybe I wasn't the most tactful with me approach and I apologize is offense is taken. Again, take care :) I won't comment any further as well.

      Delete
    12. No need to defend it, as I said in the blog post, I have seen it work for many like you who 'get' it. And I am glad it works for you! You take care also.. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written and very true. When any method is claimed to be the answer for everyone, it's bound to be a problem for those it doesn't work for. I'm glad you're finding (and offering others) some choices that are bound to be helpful for at least some of the folks that 12 step programs don't work for. A loved one of mine has found the same sort of dissatisfaction with AA, and I was only able to tolerate one or two AlAnon meetings... one was led by someone who basically abdicated all responsibility for her own life, saying that "the alcoholic is the tornado in our lives" and that we had no control at all.... very frustrating, unconstructive and untrue. Best to you, commenter Cliff, and others on this journey. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Your support and comments are much appreciated! Don't get me started on Alanon! That could be another blog post, one my mom could collaborate with me on!!(see below comment!)

      Delete
  9. It would be interesting if you could have had this conversation with your grandmother! I think that despite her beliefs she would be very proud of you as would your grandfather. For a moment just believe that they are smiling down at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting. I have a feeling that grandma would probably see the value in what I have to say. I would love to talk to both of them about it all!! Your comment about them smiling down on me brought tears to my eyes! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the thoughtful discussion, for knowing when to stop, and for mostly staying respectful, Cliff and Alison. Knowing you both, and seeing truth in what you are each saying, I just have to say that you aren't really that far apart. For me, the first, last, and only thing that has ever moved me towards health is love. Self love and universal love. That spiritual solution that can take a million forms, but in my experience has required social connection, outside help, and the opportunity to find my own truth about who I am. Thankfully the path is wide, and there is room for all our journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for awesome comment, anonymous. Completely agree with everything you said!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can relate and would like to believe there are other options than AA that don't make us give up all our own agency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks unknown! I agree completely and my hope is that more options will become widely available. The thing is, when I was searching, I could not find anything else available, face to face, in our town. Yes, there are on-line options(but even then, sometimes they aren't very user friendly). I do have hope with various articles I have read that maybe we are moving towards finding more options for people and not just relying on 12 step models that just don't work for some people.

      Delete
  12. Adding this article about SMART Recovery in case anyone is looking at this blog and is interested in alternatives to AA. http://rehabreviews.com/like-go-smart-recovery-eight-years-aa/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is a great piece and there are many similarities to my own experience. I left AA 7 years ago and have been fine. I think I have done better using alternative support than I would have done if I had stayed. Most of the people who joined around the same time as me have not done so well, one jumped off a bridge and another had a stroke after a binge. They were both in AA at the time.
    The support and sharing in AA were an important part of my first year of recovery, and going to nightly meetings helped me break the cycle of drinking. The religion was not for me and neither was the judgemental behaviour of a small but active section of the fellowship. You can also find this type of behaviour in those who are anti AA who also like to tell me what to think on my own blog.
    AA has a huge infrastructure but is stuck in the past and so only really works for quite a small percentage who enjoy going. Beating addiction is hard and there are always going to be a high percentage that struggle, but hopefully this can be cut down by more modern solutions such as the Sinclair Method. It is a shame these modern solutions are never mentioned to newcomers in AA meetings as they are the ones who need help, but many AA members are more interested in showing off their knowledge of the Big Book or quoting stock recovery phrases. Anyway I write for a site called www.addiction.com and have my own site which talks about why and how I left AA http://www.recoveringfromrecovery.com/leave-aa/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving life, Thanks for your comment!! I completely agree with everything you said and also agree that sometimes 'anti-AA' people can be just as dogmatic and judgmental!! The most important thing is that people have other options. To be told 'your not working hard enough' when you have tried and tried and it clearly isn't working is so shaming. It would be nice if there was a packet of other options available for people to try if AA just isn't working for them. This would prevent some of the hopelessness and shame if AA just isn't working. I will check out your blog.(I think I have, but will double check!) Thanks again for your comment and for bringing attention to this important issue. Anything we can do to make people feel less alone and talk about other options is very important!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alison, This is a great post. I admire your commitment to trying all approaches and not just fitting into one "room." Also, I agree it is possible to chance your relationship with alcohol, not just give it all the power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment unknown! Completely agree with you and wish there were more options out there for people that were widely known and available!

      Delete